Friday, February 5, 2016

Arrival and Training


Okay social media people!


I know I promised to post pictures of things, but this one has to be a words only post because my cord that connects my camera to the computer is in my checked bag and the Peace Corps is holding it hostage until Saturday when we meet our Pre-Service Training host families. I know excuses, excuses.

Anyway, we made it to Guyana safe and sound and were cheering loudly when we landed, much to the surprise of the flight attendants and other passengers (social apology to those people). The humidity was for sure evident when we stepped off of the plane, but it was Guyana, and we all knew we would come to love that humidity sometime soon. If you turned around there was just pitch black rain forest, which was definitely a new and exciting sight!

The next day we took our trip to Lake Mainstay Resort from minibus to ferry to minibus through the jungle. The first minibus ride we crossed the “longest floating bridge in the world”, I’m thinking maybe it is, maybe it isn’t but hey! It sounds pretty cool. When we were on the ferry we saw all kinds of tropical forested islands and went 23 miles across the mouth of the Essequibo river, which is the widest river in Guyana.

Now we’re training at Lake Mainstay, enjoying Guyanese food, and learning all about what it’s going to look like to work as a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) here in Guyana. The group of 30 of us here have probably fallen in love with each other far too fast and far too strongly to be healthy, but they really are a wonderful group, I promise!

We just found out where we will be living for the next 10 weeks and I will be staying in a village in the hinterlands. The hinterlands are the inland parts of the country that is still rainforest and some can be mountainous as well. I will be working at the health center and will still be in training until swear-in, which is April 12th!

No comments:

Post a Comment